Winter 2023 Exploring the Small Farm Dream
Thursday, February 2, 2023,
6:30 PM -
Thursday, February 9, 2023,
6:30 PM -
Thursday, February 16, 2023,
6:30 PM -
Thursday, February 23, 2023,
6:30 PM -
Exploring the Small Farm Dream
Tuesdays, February 2nd-23rd
If you are considering launching a small farm enterprise, but are not sure where to start, this 4-session series will give you the tools to start making choices to determine if farming is right for you.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Exploring the Small Farm Dream course (designed by the New England Small Farm Institute and taught by trained facilitators) is designed to help you, and your partner, decide whether starting a farm business is right for you. This ten-hour (four evening sessions) virtual course includes exploratory discussion, curated research tools, and self-assessment activities provided by the instructors as well as a workbook for hands-on application both during class and at home. Each week we will hear from subject matter experts and community partners, as well as existing farmers. By the end of the series, you will create an action plan that works best for you and will have the tools and contacts to help you get started.
SCHEDULE: Participants are expected to attend all four sessions since the program builds upon the knowledge of the previous session.
- Thursday February 2nd, 6:30-9pm
Session I: Self-Assessment and Researching the Farming Landscape
- Thursday February 9th, 6:30-9pm
Session II: Assessing Resources and Risks
- Thursday February 16th, 6:30-9pm
Session III: Marketing and Market Channel Evaluation
- Thursday February 23rd, 6:30-9pm
Session IV: Next Steps
WHO IS THIS FOR?
- Anyone interested in starting a small farm business
- Hobby and lifestyle farmers that are considering developing their farm into a business
- Recently retired individuals or individuals who will retire soon who think they may want to start a small farm business
- Immigrants with agricultural experience who wish to start farming in the US
- Recent high school or college graduates who are considering a career in agriculture
- Individuals who are inheriting or taking over a farm from a family member
- Those who are considering an on-farm market, farmer's market vendors, farm stands, livestock and poultry growers, and specialty products – such as mushrooms or maple syrup, are all agricultural businesses that started somewhere.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
- Learn how new and beginning farmers can access agricultural resources
- Learn about opportunities to connect with local farm business owners, agricultural professionals, and others interested in new farm enterprises
- Learn how to manage a small business
- Learn how to assess and manage risks
- Learn how to assess and identify available and necessary resources for your farm business
- Learn how to engage your family and resource partners in decision-making related to your enterprise choices
- Learn how to evaluate various farm enterprise choices
- Learn how to create an action plan to move your farm dream towards reality
Fee: $75 per family, includes a workbook valued at $25/extra workbooks can be purchased for $25. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required.
For more information call (607) 584-5007 or e-mail email@example.com.
This event is online
Last updated November 8, 2022